The Philippine Society of Hospital Pharmacists
Way back in 1957, the Government Hospital Pharmacists’ Association (GHPA) was born with a handful of members from Manila and Suburbs. This association was organized and led by its first president, Ms. Angelina A. Paterno, former Chief Pharmacist of the National Mental Hospital.
In December of 1961, Professor Jose P.B. Gallardo of the University of Santo Tomas, Faculty of Pharmacy, suggested the formation of a Private Hospital Pharmacists’ Association and proposed the merging of the organization with the already established GHPA, to form the nucleus of a national organization of hospital pharmacists similar to the American Society of Hospital Pharmacists (ASHP).
Also in 1961, Professor Gallardo conducted a series of lectures on “First Specialized Hospital Pharmacy Seminar”, which culminated in March 16, 1962 graduation of 33 hospital pharmacists from both private and government hospitals.
In 1962, the Private Hospital Pharmacists Association (PHPA) was born through the initiative of Ms. Mariya M. Paguyo of FEU Hospital as its first president.
PHPA later merged with GHPA to form what is now known as The Philippine Society of Hospital Pharmacists.